10 Things to Know Before You Build a Fence
Ready to begin your fence project?
- Know your property boundaries, city codes and HOA regulations.
- Design your fence, keeping in mind how you want your fence to look and function. How high? Can you see through the fence pickets? Where are the gates?
- What design features can you add to beautify your fence and your home? Arbors, trellis tops, benches, planters, etc. You get the idea.
- Pick your materials, considering cost, maintenance, and style.
- Collect your tools and supplies. Click here to see a list of suggested tools.
- Contact your neighbors so they know what to expect from your project.
- Call your local utitities (or 811) so they can mark the "no dig" zones on your property. You do NOT want to nick an electrical wire or gas line while digging post holes!
- Clear your calendar for several days. Better yet, clear your friend's calendar for extra help.
- Consider hiring a contractor. Yup, we said it.
- Measure twice, cut once.
Get going already! Here are a few tips to help you get started.
Click Here to explore different material types (wood, vinyl, iron, etc.) to build your fence with.
Or, if you know the material already, but want to explore different styles, have a look at our fence design page to narrow things down.
Have a look at our tools checklist to make sure you're not forgetting anything you need to start (and finish) your project! Nothing is worse than convincing your pal to help you out on their day off, only to realize that you forgot the nails. Happy building!